Crisp air means juicy turkey, flavorful dressing and delicious pie (I come from a long line of banana cream pie lovers).
My husband told me this week that Thanksgiving is his favorite holiday. Like before Christmas and Independence Day. I had no idea. But it kind of makes sense: food, football, friends and relaxation.
Before having your pie and watching a game this year, check out one or a few DC area turkey trots. There’s one in about every other neighborhood, so you’ll be home in time to get the turkey in the oven and set the table before the big feast. There are also a few turkey trots before the big day, for those of you who will have procrastinated dinner preparations, have out of town plans or will be playing a bit of football on Thanksgiving Day.
Here are a few of my favorite DC area turkey trots that will have you gobbling seconds at the dinner table without the guilt.
DC Area Turkey Trots
November 23 (Saturday, pre-Thanksgiving)
- Herndon Turkey Trot (5K race): Herndon Community Center, Herndon. 4 p.m.
- Thanksgiving Fox Trot (1 mile): Ft. Hunt Park, Alexandria. 8 a.m.
November 28 (Thanksgiving)
- Thanksgiving Day Trot for Hunger Run (5K run/walk, 1 mile kids fun run): Pennsylvania Avenue NW & 12th Street, DC. 8:30- 9 a.m.
- Alexandria Turkey Trot (5 miler): George Washington Middle School, Alexandria. 9 a.m.
- Arlington Turkey Trot (5K run/walk): Pershing Drive and N. Highland Street, Arlington. 8 a.m.
- Camp Letts Turkey Chase (5K run/walk, 10K race): YMCA Camp Letts, Edgewater. 9 a.m.
- Turkey Chase (10K race, 2 miler and 50-meter Tot Trot): YMCA Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Bethesda. 8:30, 9 and 9:45 a.m.
The best part of many of these turkey trots is registration is open until day of for a few of them, and up until the day before for others.
There is no excuse when it comes to turkey trots (and with the beautiful fall we’ve been having, who wouldn’t want to be outdoors for at least an hour on Thanksgiving!?).
More DC Area Fall Fun
- Dust off your inner-craftiness to make a fall wreath before you pull out the pine and holly
- Check out the fall color close to home at Theodore Roosevelt Island
- Hit up the National zoo without the crowds. Fall is a perfect time to catch the animals and find a parking spot!
- Take a day trip on Black Friday like we always do with one of these nearby recommendations
- Have you finished your resolutions? November is a great month to cross off the last ones before the holiday season is in full swing!