Whether you like your apples green and tart or red and juicy, apple picking really should be at the top of your Autumn Bucket List this year. With so many farms and varieties, there are apples to appease every palate.
We recently visited our nearest orchard for apple picking and walked away with enough apples to eat, can, sauce and caramelize. A bushel and a half turns out to be more apples than you’d think.
Have an awesome apple turnover recipe? I could really use it– like today.
Although the elusive and ever-popular honeycrisp apple picking season is over, there are still plenty of pink ladies, granny smith, red and golden delicious to be had in the next month or so for everyone heading out to the orchards.
Here are a few nearby farms for you to take your pick from (literally).
What you do after apple picking is entirely up to you!
Apple Picking in Maryland
- Homestead Farms – Poolesville, MD; Pick your own is open daily, 9am-5pm; For updated picking conditions, call 301.977.3761.
- Butler’s Orchard – Germantown, MD; For updated picking conditions and availability, call 301.972.3299
- Larriland Farm – Woodbine, MD; Pick your own fruits and vegetables. Before heading out to the farm, call 410.442.2605 or 301.854.6110 for updated picking conditions and availability.
Apple Picking in Virginia
- Hartland Orchard – Markham, VA; Apple picking is open daily from 8am-6pm; Call 540.364.2316 for up-to-date apple picking availability
- Stribling Orchard – Markham, VA; closed Mondays and Tuesdays after Columbus Day. Check out what’s pickin’ or call 540.364.3040
Apple Picking Tips
- Apples are measured by the peck and bushel
1 Peck = 10-12 lbs
1 bushel = 42-48 lbs
- Check with your orchard to see if you need to bring your own containers for apple picking
- Plan for wet feet and muddy clothes. I learned this year that orchards are not clean– especially for two-year-olds.
- Check to see what other activities are going on at the orchard before coming. Many offer hayrides, pumpkin patches and fall festivals on the weekends.
Apple Canning Information and Recipes
- Learn from my mistake: If you plan to can apple pie filling, you will need ClearJel. ClearJel is not readily available at grocery stores with canning supplies, so buy it online ahead of time. Don’t wait until you have the apples!
- Apple Butter
- Apple Pie Filling
- Old-Fashioned Apple Sauce
More Fall Fun
- Visit Hersheypark– Hersheypark in the Dark runs weekends October 18-November 3
- Sign up for a DC Race this fall– there’s even one made for strollers
- Make my favorite fall treat– gooey caramel popcorn
- Pack a picnic and enjoy DC’s perfect fall weather at one of these prime picnic spots