I had idyllic summer vacations growing up. Camping. Sunday walks in the mountains. Family bike rides once or twice a week. Popsicles. Summer rain storms. Tan lines on my feet.
Looking back, I realize I had it pretty good as a kid.
One of my favorite things about summer is the outdoor games for kids. I still love a jump rope and running through the sprinklers. I would love for my daughter to be very good at Mother May I?!
We’ve really been trying to play outdoors more this summer. Even with weather that feels like it’s 105 degrees we still need our Vitamin D, and my daughter still has crazy amounts of energy to burn. One of our Summer Bucket List goals is even to spend an entire week playing outside each day. We both need the great outdoors.
And other than driving to the park each day, I’m pretty lame when it comes to coming up with ideas of things to do at home. For free.
Luckily there are about a gazillion other parents and educators out there with ideas for outdoor games for kids.
Here’s some inspiration for your own summer fun with some outdoor games for kids. Plan an evening of fun, pull a game out at your next family reunion or afternoon with the neighbor kids.
20 of the Best Outdoor Games for Kids and Families
- Red Rover
- Mother May I?
- Red Light Green Light
- Kick the Can
- Four Square
- Marco Polo
- Slip and Slide – yours doesn’t need to be this intense… but clever isn’t it
- Jump Rope – Jump Rope + Water = YES
- Water Balloons
- Hula Hoops – Great exercise for kids and adults!
- Capture the Flag
- Giant Jenga
- Outdoor Twister
- Ladder Golf
Did I miss any? What are your favorites?
More Active Summer Fun
- Check out Burke Lake for a round of mini golf or trek around the lake
- Head to a neighborhood sprayground or swimming pool
- Make a day out of going to the National Zoo with Activity Guides for kids of all ages
- Bike to some of DC’s best picnic spots
- Head to Hersheypark for swimming, walking and riding